1994 Mining History Association Field Trip
PHOTO GALLERY 3 of 7
3 of 7
Central City/Black Hawk Historic District
CLICK ON A PHOTO TO DISPLAY A LARGER IMAGE
The Colorado and Central Railroad passes over the main street in Black Hawk, ca 1878-1885. (Courtesy, Library of Congress)
The availability of a plentiful water supply made Black Hawk a milling and smelting center, ca 1878-1885. (Courtesy, Library of Congress)
The railroad is long gone and the two main streets in Black Hawk are now lined with modern casinos. Only a few of the original structures from the boom times remain.
A mill located just north of Black Hawk is a reminder of the town’s mining, milling, and smelting past. It operated intermittently in the late-1900s.
(Above) Several restored houses from the mining heyday sit above the road between Black Hawk and Central City.
(Right) “Daylight” stopes can be seen on a narrow ore vein on the hill above Black Hawk.
The mines of Nevadaville, located a mile and a half west of Central City, produced much of Gilpin County’s mineral wealth. Only a few historic structures remain.