1994 Mining History Association Field Trip
PHOTO GALLERY 5 of 7
5 of 7
Georgetown Tour, June 7, 1994
Option A: Idaho Springs Tour
CLICK ON A PHOTO TO DISPLAY A LARGER IMAGE
(Above) In 1893, Charlie Tayler built a water powered stamp mill at his gold operation on Ute Creek. In 1988, the wheel was restored and relocated to a park along Clear Creek.
(Right) A memorial with a bust of Charlie Tayler was been placed along a bike path opposite the water wheel.
(Above) The Maude Monroe Mine (AKA Donna Juanita) is one of the many groups of heritage structures located in the Idaho Springs area. The retaining wall was constructed to prevent erosion of the mine dump.
(Left) Had the 1994 MHA conference been held in September rather than June, the famous Colorado aspen trees would have greeted the attendees.
The Edgar Mine is an historic mine in Idaho Springs. It is owned by the Colorado School of Mines and used for student training and research. (Courtesy Colorado School of Mines)
This compressed air driven mine motor at the right is one of the many pieces of mining equipment, both historic and modern, that are on display in the Edgar Mine. (Courtesy Colorado School of Mines)
(Above) The Edgar Mine is open seasonally for public tours conducted by Colorado School of Mines students and staff members. A drilling jumbo is being explained to this group. (Courtesy Colorado School of Mines)
(Left) Many types of rock drills are on display in the mine. They can be used by student miners and demonstrated to the public. (Courtesy Colorado School of Mines)