1997 Mining History Association Field Trip

 

Keweenaw Peninsula Copper Mines

Houghton, Michigan

June 8, 1997

PHOTO GALLERY 2 of 4

 


CLICK ON A PHOTO TO DISPLAY A LARGER IMAGE

The restored Calumet Theater, built in 1899, was the largest municipal theater of its day.  It still hosts many performances.  It is an example of the impressive architecture of many historic buildings in Calumet and other cities in the Copper Country.

 

Johnny Johnsson with a mucker at the Coppertown Mining Museum in Calumet.

A boulder of float copper sits in front of the Calumet and Hecla Public Library in Calumet.

The Calumet and Hecla General Office Building is now the headquarters of the Keweenaw National Historical Park.

 

The Superior Boiler House with its distinctive chimney, supplied steam power to the Calumet and Hecla buildings in Calumet.

Statue of Alexander Agassiz, President of Calumet and Hecla from 1871 to 1910.  He was a Swiss immigrant sent to manage the mines by his brother-in-law, Quincy Shaw, the principle stockholder.

 

The Mine Captainís Office (left) was the nerve
center of the Hecla Mining Companyís underground operations.  Both the Hecla and the Calumet Mining Company were subsidiaries of the parent Calumet and Hecla.  They were consolidated by Agassiz in 1871.

The Miscowaubik Club was originally a Mine Captainís house.  It was later converted to an elite social club.

Photo Credits: Johnny Johnsson and Mike Kaas

CLICK HERE FOR PHOTO GALLERY 3 OF 4



All contents copyright 2011. This is a ZStudios website.