The Mineral Belt Trail was constructed as part of the cleanup of the California Gulch Superfund Site. The trail goes through the Greenbacks Mine cribbing, a railroad crossover point. In 2007, the In 2007, the MHAers took a lunch break nearby at the Robert Emmet Mine in Stray Horse Gulch.
The Pyrenees Mine headframe, located just off the trail, is one of the largest still standing. The 1247 foot deep shaft was one of the deepest in the district. The large hoist foundation can be seen behind the headframe.
High on the hill above California Gulch is the No. 3 Shaft of the Colonel Sellers Mine, AKA Accident Shaft. Twelve miners were killed in an incident at the Moyer Mine located downhill from the headframe.
The Minnie Pump Shaft is located across the road from the famous A. Y. and Minnie Mines. These mines made a fortune for Meyer Guggenheim who purchased them from their discoverers, A. Y. Gorman and his wife, Minnie.
The Healy House was originally built by August Meyer for his wife, Emma. It is named for the family that lived in the home for many years after the Meyers. It is beautifully restored and furnished with Victorian furniture by the Colorado Historical Society.
The rustic exterior of the Dexter Cabin hides its plush interior. It was one of several built by millionaire James Dexter. The cabin was the venue for high-stakes poker games between Dexter and his well healed associates. It was moved to the grounds of the Healy House Museum.
In 1879, Leadville was home to 17 smelters. This slag dump is all that remains of the Berndell and Witherall La Plata Co. smelter and later the Bi-Metallic Smelting Co. To the west, Mount Massive is sporting a fresh dusting of June snow.
The American Smelting and Refining Company (ASARCO) Arkansas Valley Plant operated on this site until 1960. It started as The Billing and Eilers Smelter in 1879 and was purchased by ASARCO in 1889.