(Above) View north toward Ouray from Red Mountain Pass, elevation 11, 018 feet. In 1883 Otto Mears built the first part of the “Million Dollar Highway” from Ouray to Ironton as a toll road to provide access to the mines. It connected to another road from Silverton.
(Left) Red Mountain No. 3 towers above the mining district of the same name at its base. The light dusting of morning snow obscures its normally red color.
By the afternoon return trip, the sun had melted much of the morning snow to reveal the true colors of Red Mountains 1, 2, and 3.
The historic Yankee Girl Mine with its distinctive headframe is representative of the many surviving and restored mining buildings in the district.