2005 Mining History Association Field Trip

 

Franklin/Sterling Hill, NJ Mining District

Sterling Hill Mining Museum (Underground)

June 19, 2005

Tour Hosts: Richard and Robert Houck

 

PHOTO GALLERY 4

CLICK ON A PHOTO TO DISPLAY A LARGER IMAGE

 

Simulated Diamond Drill Operator searches for more ore.

 

 

Rock bolt in white Calcite with bands of Franklinite.

Simulated miners charging a blasting pattern with explosives.

Simulated miner operating an air-powered scraper in a stope.

 

(Above) Ore car being loaded in a cross-cut below a stope.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(Left) Guide Earl Verbeek explains square set timbering in a stope.  This stope was used as a movie set for the 2001 film “Zoolander.”  The brown “timber” and black rocks at his feet are foam stage props.

 

 

The basement of the old Sterling Hill Mill was unearthed, refurbished, and now houses the Thomas S. Warren Museum of Fluorescence. Warren was the founder of Ultra-Violet Products Inc.

The old Sterling Hill Mill, ca. 1915, was replaced in the 1950’s by a more modern mill on the hill above the mine.


Photo Credits: Johnny Johnsson, Mike Kaas and John Park

CLICK HERE FOR PHOTO GALLERY – 5 OF 7

 

 


All contents copyright 2011. This is a ZStudios website.