2015 Mining History Association

 

Walking Tour of Virginia City

Tour Leader: Joe Curtis

June 11, 2015

 

PHOTO GALLERY Ė 2 of 2

 

CLICK ON A PHOTO TO DISPLAY A LARGER IMAGE

The Bank of California Building at the corner of C Street and Taylor.  The current restaurant is named for William Sharon, a member of the legendary Bank Crowd that controlled much of the Comstock from 1864 to 1875.

 

The imposing St. Maryís in the Mountains Catholic Church (1876) reflects the large number of Irish in Virginia City. It dwarfs St. Paulís Episcopal Church (1876) one bloc to the east.


The vacant lot at Union Avenue marks the site of the luxurious International Hotel.  Mollinellieís, another famous hostelry, is located two doors down C Street.

MHAers make the steep climb up Union to reach more of the historic buildings.  The upstairs hall of the Delta Saloon, second from the right, was the venue for some of the MHA program sessions.

Piperís Opera House (1883) on B Street, venue for some of the MHA program sessions.

(Left to right) Knights of Pythias, E Clampus Vitus, and Miners Union Halls.

 

Storey County Courthouse (1876).  CLICK HERE to see if Justice is blind or not!
The records vault at the courthouse is a treasure trove for historians and genealogists.

Photo Credits: Johnny Johnsson, Mike Kaas, and Bob Spude

CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO THE VIRGINIA CITY MEETING PAGE

 

 


All contents copyright 2011. This is a ZStudios website.