Breece Hill at the eastern end of Stray Horse Gulch was one of the largest mining areas in the Leadville district. The modern headframe of the Hopemore Mine can be seen behind the Ibex Mine dumps.
MHAers taking in the huge Ibex mining complex. The location of the Little Jonny Mine, the Ibex No. 1 Shaft, was near the dumps at the right side of the picture.
The Ibex ore house is the largest preserved structure in the district.
The Ibex No. 4 Shaft hoist house. (2002 photo)
The Ibex No. 4 hoist is still intact. (2002 photo)
The operatorís controls for the Ibex No. 4 hoist. (2002 photo)
(Above) The Ibex Mine ore house with the 1750 foot deep Irene Shaft in the background. Built in the 1950ís, the Irene was part of the Resurrection Mining complex that extended from the original Resurrection Mine in Evans Gulch (off the picture to the left) to Breece Hill. Ore was hauled through the Yak Tunnel to the Resurrection Mill in California Gulch. In the 1970ís, the underground workings connected with the Black Cloud Mine and Mill in Iowa Gulch.
(Right) Jim Besleme and Johnny Johnsson checking out the Irene Shaft.