Mining History Association
Funds are awarded on a competitive basis. The Grants Committee, at its discretion, may make up to three grants per year. Funding may vary, up to a maximum of $750 per grant. The amount of each award will be determined by the Grants Committee on the basis of available funding, the grant criteria as indicated below, and on individual budget priorities. Announcement of the winner(s) will be made by the end of May 2019, so that funds may be used in preparation for the MHA Annual Conference in the year following the award (Elko, Nevada in June 2020).
Criteria for selection include the following:
1. Clarity of the stated objectives and procedures.
2. Quality of the work anticipated and the likelihood that the proposed project will be successfully completed within one year from the time the grant money becomes available.
3. Significance of the research topic to mining history.
4. How specific, realistic, and conservative the budget is.
5. Plans for disseminating the results of the research. Agree to prepare, within one year following a grant award, either a presentation for consideration by the Program Committee at the MHA Annual Conference, or an article to be reviewed in consideration for publication by The Mining History Journal. Some awardees may choose to do both. If an awardee chooses to come to the conference, both the basic registration fee and an award’s banquet ticket will additionally be provided for free to that conference.
To be eligible for funding, applicants must submit the following before midnight on May 1, 2019 to BrianLeech@augustana.edu:
1. One complete Application Form (Download as an MS-Word file) or (Download the application form as a PDF file).
2. A resumé/vita with personal information relevant to the proposal.
Thanks for your application.
The MHA Grants Committee: Brian Leech (Chair), Eric Nystrom, David Wolff
CLICK HERE for a list of MHA Grant Recipients