The Copper Queen Mine Tour enjoyed by the MHAers is still interpreting this historic mine. Visitors to museums around the world marvel at the spectacular copper mineral specimens that came from the Copper Queen Mine.
Commemorative plaque at the Copper Queen Mine extols The Importance of Copper Mining.
Visitors suit up with hard hats and miners’ lamps before heading underground.
The mine train takes visitors to an underground stope where the mining process is explained and the copper ore can still be seen.
The Lavender Pit was an important Bisbee copper producer from 1954 until it closed in 1974. The view is to the south. The Junction Shaft headframe in Lowell is at the top left.
This view to the southwest shows the rest of the mine. The Lavender Pit occupies the site of the previous underground Sacramento Hill Mine and several others.
The open pit mine was named for Harrison M. Lavender, the Phelps-Dodge executive who led the development of this low grade copper resource.
Carol Bagley and Mike Canty at the highway viewpoint above the Lavender Pit. The hill behind them (out of the picture to the right) contains the Cochise orebody which has yet to be mined.