Mining History Association

2014 Update

Cripple Creek and Victor Mining District

PHOTO GALLERY 2 OF 3
The Cripple Creek and Victor Mining District is so extensive that it is difficult to see it all in a single day.  The MHA tours in 2003 covered many of the highlights of its mining history (Photo Gallery 1).  To show more of the mining history and its heritage structures, these additional photos have been added (Photo Galleries 2-3).  The photos were taken just before the 2014 MHA conference in Trinidad, Colorado. 

 

Citizen groups and the Cripple Creek and Victor Gold Mining Company have worked hard to preserve and interpret many of the most important mining structures in the district.  The American Eagles Scenic Overlook (Gallery 1) lets the visitor compare historic underground mining with the modern open pit Cresson Mine. A series of hiking and biking trails and several roadside exhibits have been developed to give visitors a close-up view of other mine locations and the equipment used in mining.  The company has taken the extraordinary effort to relocate and stabilize several historic mining structures that would have otherwise have been lost as open pit mine operations consume the older underground mines.   CLICK HERE to download a map of the mines in the Cripple Creek and Victor Mining District. (1906, Lindgren and Ransome, USGS Professional Paper 54)

CLICK ON A PHOTO TO DISPLAY A LARGER IMAGE


The Cripple Creek and Victor Mining Companyís modern Cresson Mine and Valley Leach Facility have expanded since the 2003 MHA visit.  The 2014 pit floor has exposed an old stope from an underground mine.  CLICK HERE for a close-up view.

The new Wildhorse Pit located northeast of the Cresson Mine is being developed by Cripple Creek and Victor as a future source of ore.

The old townsite of Independence lies at the top of the Vindicator Valley Trail.  The trail passes several historic mines as it continues downhill to Victor.

 

The ore house of the Vindicator Mine is one of the better preserved buildings In the district.


The Vindicatorís steel headframe was erected in 1908, replacing an earlier wooden structure.  The headframe was originally enclosed in corrugated steel.

The double drums of the Vindicatorís hoist were designed to utilize flat cable.  Hoisting speed could reach 1500 feet per minute

 

The last remaining house in Independence has been stabilized on a new foundation.

 

The Theresa Mine headframe is located about halfway down the Vindicator Valley Trail toward Victor.

CLICK HERE FOR PHOTO GALLERY Ė 3 OF 3


Photo Credits: Mike and Pat Kaas

All contents copyright 2011. This is a ZStudios website.