1994 Mining History Association Field Trip
PHOTO GALLERY 2 of 7
2 of 7
Central City/Black Hawk Historic District
CLICK ON A PHOTO TO DISPLAY A LARGER IMAGE
The Ancient Order of United Workmen (AOUW.) building was built after the great 1874 fire which destroyed much of Central City. It was originally the Abraham Jacobs' store. The AOUW added an elegant second story hall after it purchased the building in 1898. The building was restored in 1992.
The Rose Haydee building, part of the Doc Holliday Casino (now closed), was named for the popular actress Rose (Brown) Wakely who came to Colorado in 1859. Her stage name was Rose Haydee. She married Thomas Evans, a local gambling man, after he was arrested and accused of her abduction.
(Above) The Dostal Block was built in 1874, after the great fire. It has been repurposed as a casino.
(Left) Also built in 1874, this building housed a dry goods store, funeral parlor, and newspaper before the second floor was added in 1901 by Ignatz Meyer. He operated it as a saloon until Prohibition forced him to change it to a pool hall. In 1946 it became the notorious Glory Hole Bar. The building was restored in 1991.
Restored miners’ houses dot the hillside between Central City and Black Hawk.
The restored Boodle Mine and Mill are outside the National Historical District. CLICK HERE to see how modern development in spreading.
The ornate iron gate marks the entrance to the Knights of Pythias Cemetery, one of several located north of Central City.