2002 Mining History Association Field Trip

 

Murray Gold District, Sunshine Mine, and

Burk Canyon Tours

June 2002

 

PHOTO GALLERY 1

CLICK ON A PHOTO TO DISPLAY A LARGER IMAGE

 

Richard Houck (left) inspecting gold stamps from the quartz lode mining days in Murray, ID.

 

Eimco mucking machines in the bone yard.  Spare parts, anyone?

Placer gold was discovered by prospectors in Murray in 1882.  Dredges and lode mines followed.

The historic Masonic Hall (left) and the local watering spot are prominent features in “downtown” Murray (2011 photo).

 

Sunshine Mine and Mill, site of the 1972 disastrous mine fire in which 91 miners perished.  In 2002, the mine was closed and parking lots empty because of low silver prices.

 

View of the Jewel Shaft at the Sunshine Mine along Big Creek.

(Above)  In 2011, increased silver prices had renewed interest in the Sunshine Mine and the Crescent Silver Mine prospect across the road.  Cars belonging to the exploration and development staff are back in the parking lot.

 

 

(Left)  Memorial to the miners who died in the Sunshine Mine Fire.

 


Photo Credits: Johnny Johnsson, Mike Kaas, and Jim Lennox

CLICK HERE FOR PHOTO GALLERY – 2 OF 2

 

 


All contents copyright 2011. This is a ZStudios website.